Manchester City vs Leicester City 2019/2020 Preview
Manchester City vs Leicester City Preview: Team news and injury updates, head to head stats, betting tips and predictions
Manchester City face Leicester City at the Etihad Stadium in what is surprisingly a top of the table clash in the premier league on Saturday evening. Both clubs are trying to keep up with league leaders Liverpool who won’t be playing this weekend due to the ongoing Club World Cup.
Manchester City are 4 points behind Brendan Rogers’ Leicester City and 14 points behind Liverpool. Pep Guardiola celebrated his 200th game in charge of Manchester City with a 3-0 away win against arsenal last weekend, and the citizens will hope that they can continue to build momentum and close the gap on the runaway leaders. The air of invincibility around the etihad is pretty much nonexistent at this point but Pep Guardiola and his men know that a victory this weekend brings them closer to second place where they can try to keep Liverpool from comfortably strolling to their first title in the premier league era.
Nobody at the beginning of the season could’ve predicted this fixture having this much significance at this stage in the season but Leicester City and Brendan Rogers have pleasantly surprised many fans.
The foxes currently boast of the best defence in the league, having conceded just 11 goals, 3 goals fewer than Liverpool after 17 games played. In addition to their impressive defence, they have also scored 40 goals – only Liverpool and Man City have more with 42 and 47 goals respectively. Leicester City have also lost half the amount of games lost by Manchester City and nobody could have seen this coming at the beginning of the season.
A win for Leicester City means that they will be 8 points ahead of Man City and will hold tightly to that second spot over the holidays while a win for Man City means the gap between second and third will be reduced to just one. Regardless of how it seems, this fixture is between two somewhat evenly matched teams and both teams will head into this knowing a victory will move them closer to the league leaders.
Team news and injury updates:
Manchester City: Good and the not so good news for City fans, striker Sergio Aguero is nearing a return to fitness after missing their last 4 league games but is still doubtful this fixture. David Silva is back into contention after missing the meeting at the Emirates last weekend. Leroy Sane and Aymeric Laporte are long term absentees not expected until the new year while John Stones is scheduled to be back later this month. There are no other injury worries.
Possible XI: Ederson; Walker, Otamendi, Fernandinho, Mendy; Rodri, Gundogan, De Bruyne; Sterling, B Silva, Jesus.
Leicester City: Brendan Rogers is lucky to have just one player unavailable for selection – Matthew James. There are no other injury worries.
Possible XI: Schmeichel; Pereira, Evans, Soyuncu, Chilwell; Ndidi, Praet, Tielemans, Maddison; Perez, Vardy.
Head to Head:
- Manchester City have won six of the last seven meetings with Leicester City in all competitions and have won 59 games compared to Leicester’s 30.
- Leicester City are unbeaten in their last 11 games in all competitions while Man City are unbeaten in their last 3.
- Leicester City have scored first in 8 of their last 10 games and Manchester City have scored first in 5 of their last 7 games.
- Leicester City have failed to keep a clean sheet against Manchester City in their last 9 meetings.
- Both teams have scored in 4 of the last 5 meetings while Manchester City have scored first against Leicester in the last 7 games.
- There have been over 2.5 goals scored in 4 of the last 5 meetings between both sides.
Betting tips and predictions:
- Manchester City to win either half
- Both teams to score
- De Bruyne over 0.5 shot on target
- Goal in both halves
- Jamie Vardy anytime goalscorer